Current temporary opening: Accountant
Sarona Asset Management (“Sarona”) is a private investment firm, investing growth capital in companies, private equity funds and private debt funds in Frontier and Emerging markets. Sarona seeks to achieve strong financial returns for its individual and institutional investors, while promoting positive ethical, social and environmental values. The firm has a long history of investing in small to mid-market companies across Africa, Emerging Europe, Asia and Latin America, with staff in Kitchener and Amsterdam.
Sarona is currently recruiting for the position of Accountant. The Accountant will report to the Accounting Manager and will be a member of the Finance team. This position is a full time, definite term (February 2017 to April 2018) position located in Kitchener, ON, Canada. The Accountant joins a small, innovative team that seeks to lead the successful growth of the private equity industry in frontier and emerging markets while infusing all of its activities with strongly progressive values.
The Accountant is involved in the day to day financial reporting activities for Sarona’s corporate entities and has the following accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Financial Statement Preparation for corporate entities (50%)
- Input, maintenance and reconciliation of receivable and payable sub-ledgers (15%-20%)
- Compliance and tax (HST/VAT) filings and support (15%-20%)
- Support to Finance Team (10%-20%)
- Special projects/ad hoc requests (as needed, time permitting and upon request)
Sarona values Creativity, Excellence, Integrity, Honesty, Kindness and Respect. The Accountant will display a commitment to Sarona’s culture and values. Sarona’s success rests not only on its ability to raise capital and deliver that capital to the right investments but also on its ability to attract and retain people who are equally passionate about what Sarona does and are motivated to do it well.
- 2-5 years of previous work experience as an Accountant for a small or medium sized organisation (candidates with previous work experience in the financial industry preferred)
- Post-secondary education in accounting (candidates working towards an accounting designation preferred)
- Strong computer skills including excellent Excel skills and previous experience with financial statement preparation using QuickBooks
- Confident in all aspects of full cycle accounting including month end reconciliations and financial statement preparation and related support
- Prior exposure to foreign currency transactions and translation
- Previous experience preparing consolidated financial statements
- Problem solver with keen eye for identifying data inconsistencies
- Strong communicator, both verbal and written
- Self-starter, able to work independently and with others with minimal supervision
To succeed at Sarona, the Accountant will need to demonstrate:
- A commitment to quality and service
- A strong intellectual curiosity and desire to learn
- A level of professionalism that goes above and beyond
- A respect for others
Supervisor: Accounting Manager
Location: Kitchener, ON, Canada
Expected travel: Infrequent (<10%)
Type: Full time, definite term, maternity leave coverage beginning February 2017 to April 2018
Please submit your resume and cover letter by 3 February 2017 to email@example.com. We thank all applicants but will only contact candidates selected to advance in the hiring process.
Interested in working with us?
Sarona is a leading investor within Frontier and Emerging Markets and we are growing rapidly. If you are interested in working with us, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.